Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:08:46 EST
Let me try explaining the problem(s) differently...

The list moved to another site, I deleted everything out of listserv,
kept the userid naming the list and forwarded any mail sent to the list
to the new address.

[log in to unmask] sends mail DIRECTLY to listserv to subscribe to a
list that doesn't exist. [log in to unmask] forges
[log in to unmask] as the return address. The mail is going to
smtp, mailer, then listserv. Listserv looks for the list that has been
deleted and can't find it, so mail is sent to [log in to unmask]
stating that the list doesn't exist. Listserv not wanting to disappoint
[log in to unmask], sends the request to the nearest backbone
server (as we are not a backbone server) [log in to unmask] and the
backbone server have both just been spammed.

Under normal circumstances (not a forged address) this would be fine, as
we would want to inform [log in to unmask] that the list no longer
exists. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Okay, recreate the list (which is what I did) with subscription closed.
This prevents the backbone server from getting mail, but listserv still
sends mail back to [log in to unmask] This is what I wish to stop
if possible. Our site is still getting spammed, but
[log in to unmask] and the backbone server are no longer bothered.
If I could redirect requests for the list to a "holding" area, then
delete those files with a quick little rexx exec, then I'm not even
bothered.

Okay, if the most current version of Listserv can handle this exception
to the rule, then I have no complaints. I'll put up with it until
listserv has migrated off this machine, or go change the code. If
listserv 1.8c can't handle that, sounds like a reasonable feature to me?
Our NT servers will be running the most current version of Listserv. :-(

I don't think this problem is fully appreciated unless it is happening
to your site... I've gotten one mail message that this is happening at
another site, I'm sure there are others?

Thanks again for any tips/suggestions/comments/etc... There are others
looking for help, please post to the list AND special thanks to those
that have already replied.

Howard