Danny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:09:52 -0700
Right now we use a group email system that works about 75% of the time. When that fails we compile all the names and send that. The downside of that is when doing dispatch from the side of the road at 0430 and you are rushed, sending to one address to distribute out works much better. As for why it fails, I have no idea. We send out a message, sometimes they all go thru, then they just stop, no bounce message, no warnings, just no message. So we change systems. A day later we send out a test and they magically work again. Once again, I am no expert on the inner workings of email and SMS, I can fight my way thru but that is it.

Not sure what you mean about cell carriers. We haven't had problems with those, only getting messages thru the group email service.

As for back up systems, we have that worked out but I am not looking to this list for help there.

Danny

From the computer of
Danny Morris
http://www.k9alert.org

________________________________
From: Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 3:48:45 PM
Subject: Re: List for Search and Rescue callout help

At 14:51 9/25/2009 Friday, Danny Morris wrote:

>Is it possible that someone here could host a list for us? It would be
>between 16-20 members, each with an email address as one for texting their
>cell. Reliability is key as we can not miss a call for obvious reasons.

<rhetorically>

Define Reliability?  What are its components both technically and organizationally?  Where are the single points of failure?  What is your backup scenario (when technology fails)?

What about the subscribers' email / textings systems?  Why do you think that BIG CELLULAR ISPs are providing you with reliable and fast service?

/Pete