CCMRG@BOSTONU
Fri, 5 Feb 88 15:20:00 EST
As per my original message to Eric on this topic - I am leaning towards
OFFLINE meaning OFFLINE even for incoming files to LISTSERV. Yes,
it would appear that an OFFLINE LISTSERV is a black hole - but,
LISTSERVs should not be kept OFFLINE for too long unless there is
a network problem (unless I am missing something here). Let me share
what happened to me that made me question all this; RUTVM1 was OFFLINE,
determined when I sent an INDEX command to it. Then I figured, "Ok,
send mail with INDEX as a command and LISTSERV will process it when
it comes back ONLINE - I'll get my output tomorrow morning".
The next morning I came back to find a piece of mail from LISTSERV@RUTVM1
telling me it was OFFLINE.

Comments?

            - Michael Gettes, Boston University