"A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
Wed, 27 Jan 88 16:52:43 EST
First I agree with Phil Miller that this won't cause a loop, and
second, I know the software involved, and it is being worked on.
It is an electronic mail facility developed for MUSIC that
has been around since the 70s, and was designed for only internal
communication of users, and it had some kludges added to get to Bitnet.

Marist is writing an alternative facility that will support RFC822.
(Eventually more complex issues such as BSMTP, but we want to
get something out now.  It is in beta test at 4 other sites now
and will be offered for general distribution to MUSIC sites sometime
this spring.  It is not yet, but the desire is to make it look
and feel like RiceMail. (Richard has already told me that his lawyers
will be contacting me as soon as the Lotus suit is complete. :-) )

It may take a little while, but it will be fixed.
(Well, I can't speak for UTEP, but there will be an alternative
shortly for them shortly)

So, sometime is being done about this one.  Now can we get back to the
important issue at hand, loops.  Phil Howard has important points
that we need to make sure it isn't a Listserv only solution.

What about the suggestions offered so far.  Is sometype of
ERROR-IS the best with a standard set of error codes, so is that
so complicated that no one will take the time to generate the
correct headers?  Should we go with something as simple as
subject starting with *, and what do we tell the user who sends
an important piece of mail with the subject *** IMPORTANT ***
and Listserv merrily eats it?  Are the others to consider?
Eric, do you have any comments?  especially since we are
talking about added work for you.

Harry