Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:30:51 +1000
> >As I tell
> >the people here in my office, anyone who cares about reliable email
> >service will simply not use Hotmail. You get what you pay for.
>
> My phrasing is slightly different: Hotmail.com users are
> getting exactly
> the service they are not paying for.  Personally, I also put
> yahoo.com in
> this category as well.

In these days of relatively low-cost ISPs who host online mail services
there is almost no need for a web-based freemail account anymore.  If,
however, someone is determined that's what they want there are dozens of
alternatives to Hotmail & Yahoo (often better and more reliable, too).
As Ben Parker pointed out, it's not always a case of 'free=value'.
Similarly, 'big=good service' doesn't ring true, either.

If someone is having problems with one of the larger services point them
to http://www.emailaddresses.com/.  This site lists hundreds of services
and has reviewed most of them.  It also sports a useful 'Free Email
Deathwatch' which lists defunct services or those that have moved to a
paid model.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.