Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Mar 1991 16:14:25 +0100
Please stop reporting errors in LINKSWT FILE. I know about them, and they
are NORMAL. They are due to two problems:

1. It takes  a nonzero amount of  time to distribute a  new LINKSWT FILE.
   When I am told about a new  link that will be introduced soon and will
   cause problems if not weighted, I put  it in the file IN ADVANCE. If I
   didn't, the said problem would exist for, say, 1 week.

2. Many sites run outdated copies of BITEARN NODES. While this is clearly
   a bad thing, it is equally clear that the file must work at least with
   the previous version of BITEARN NODES, as there is no way for everyone
   on the network to install the new version at the very same moment. For
   this reason, entries  for links which were there last  month remain in
   the file; depending on the severity of the problem they might cause if
   missing, even older entries may stay in the file for a while.

None of this causes any problem  with servers reporting the problem - the
entry is  just ignored.  With release  1.7 and usage  of the  new BITEARN
NODES format,  the number of entries  in this file should  be drastically
reduced. I presently  have 12 entries which are not  due to improper line
speed definitions (eg 9L when CC  ought to have been specified). Only one
of them would be needed if  country coordinators were to make appropriate
use of the new format link weight definition capabilities (virtual lines,
etc).

  Eric