Gregory Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:30:14 -0400

> Hello everyone,
>  We are about to convert from LISTSERV vesrsion 1.7F on VM to LISTSERV 1.8b
> on either VM or UNIX.
> Lyne Thibault

Hi. Let add a few additional comments to Roger Fajman's. Roger was the
LISTSERV expert and I did the UNIX part. What we decided to do was
move the lists with as little interruption as possible as well as have
a mechcanism to back out anything if some unintended consequence
happened. This is why we choose the New-list= method.

The second important criteria to me was that I was not going to do
this by hand. We were talking hundreds of lists and thousands of
archive files. I developed a series of mostly Perl scripts to get
the work done. These scripts are highly automated and require not
much more than a file of listnames of the lists that one wants moved.
Files are transferred, directories are made, email is auto-generated,
aliases and even entries in the system.catalog are made. Log files
are made to document the movement of each list. Error checking is
pretty good - if an error is encountered the process stops(Too
many years doing MVS JCL). Entries for files in the subcatolog
still needs some work.

What I have is not a total cookbook method but it might go a long
way to help others even if only parts are used. It will still take a
UNIX programmer with root access and of course Perl. I can make
these files available by anonymous ftp if there is interest. Why
I might even add some intelligent comments. The big limitation is
that this is only one persons solution to their problem on their
hardware/software.

        ...Greg

Gregory Decker
National Institutes of Health/DCRT/NSB