Dalhousie University Aidan Evans <AE@DAL>
Fri, 24 Apr 87 12:41 ADT
 Perhaps this is a question for MAIL-L, but I thought I would start with
LSTSRV-L since it is with LISTSERV originated mail that we have noticed
the following problem.

 We have subscribed to a number of LISTSERV lists at various sites.  In
the past week or so we have noticed that on some lists (e.g.,
INFO-VAX@UGA, LASER@FINHUTC) a lot of messages are appearing twice (at
least).  The messages appear to be identical, including the dates in the
RFC822 headers.

 In the one specific case I have investigated so far, the same message was
received twice from INFO-VAX@UGA; in both copies the "Received:" line from
the UGA mailer was identical, indicating to me that the mailer sent the
same file twice.  I checked the RSCS/NJE protocol information surrounding
these message and saw that the job name ("RSCSnnnn") was different in the
two copies, which suggests (thought I really don't know much about
RSCS/NJE) that the messages were not sent twice by some intgermediate site
between UGA and DAL.

 Has anyone else seen this problem?  Can anyone explain what is happening?
I have a copies of all the recent LISTSERV messages sent to DAL if more
information is needed.

 Please reply or cc: to me directly since I am not on the LSTSRV-L list.