Fergal Suipeil <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:00:21 +0100
Hi,

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Nathan Brindle wrote:

> :remark1.010 was the license number of IRLEARN

This was an Amdahl 580 and later an IBM 4341 (a downgrade!) running
in the Computer Center in University College Dublin. I first came
across it in 1991, I'm not sure how long it had been running then.

I was responsible for commissioning its successor listserv.heanet.ie,
which is still going strong with many of the original lists from
IRLEARN. Although I'm no longer responsible for listserv.heanet.ie
I still have its original hardware, a Digital DEC 3000, beside my
desk. I didn't have room for the 580.

The migration was completed 10 years ago this week. So it's been
almost exactly 10 years since license 10 was in use. That reminds
me, how do I upgrade my 10 year LISTSERV t-shirt to a 20 year
version :-)
                      Fergal.