"Warhurst, SI (Spencer)" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:10:48 -0000
Thanks for your feedback so far. We get an average of about 10 renames a
month which, when you include my time in running and overseeing the script,
plus our helpline's time in dealing with the call and updating our
databases, it's enough to warrant an automation.
Many of our lists are named after departments or projects related to higher
education, and as you can probably imagine, that is in a constant state of
flux.. Projects get renamed to breath fresh life into them, departments
develop a new image, etc.
Most of the lists we rename certainly want to keep their subscribers, and
many their notebooks aswell (although, in the case of the notebooks, I
suspect in most cases they probably wouldn't miss them!).
I'm leaning towards using wa.exe at the moment. With the standard
http::request module in Perl, when you get a URL it stores the response in a
flat file which you can then analyse to deduce whether it's been succsessful
or not. Just I will need to sort out the problems I had with certain
characters.

Regards

--
Spencer Warhurst