Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 May 1991 00:18:58 +0200
On Sun, 5 May 1991 00:30:00 PDT Leonard D Woren <LDW@USCMVSA> said:

>Irrelevant. There  is no reason  to cater  to PROFS because  the network
>standard is RFC 822 format mail.

It is? Where is  that written? Sorry, but until a  statement is issued by
the  appropriate network  authorities, which  will probably  never happen
(er, I  meant "not before  OSI" of course  :-) ), PROFS  is as much  of a
network standard as RFC822. And there's  a BUNCH of PROFS users, and they
include MANY  people with  high management positions.  Sure, we  all know
that RFC822 is the de-facto standard, but most PROFS users don't and they
are as  justified as  RFC822 users in  claiming support  from wide-spread
network services  such as  LISTSERV. Look, I'm  not making  a theoretical
case.  I could  implement a  'SET  listname PROFS'  option, or  'REGISTER
firstname lastname (PROFS', or whatever,  and cause LISTSERV to then send
mail to the user  in question in PROFS format. It can't  take more than a
day of work, counting the time I'd need to decipher the PROFS format (but
assuming someone  would lend me  a PROFS account somewhere  for testing).
Think about all the time that all  these thousands of people would save -
for just  ONE DAY of  my time?  Zero impact on  existing users! Am  I not
being outrageously harsh  in saying "Sorry, I'm not going  to"??? What is
it that  makes this justified in  your opinion when not  making the X-To:
change is a proof of ridiculous stubbornness?

>Well,  if  you  get  a  mail loop  between  LISTSERV  and  an  Acces/MVS
>recipient, that impacts lots of people, not just the ones on the list or
>at the Acces/MVS site.

But you don't get a mail loop,  because the message sent back to the list
is discarded (since it was seen recently)  and there is no "X-To:" in the
nastygram LISTSERV sends back. True, there are servers in the network who
don't run  that code, but  then these servers  wouldn't run the  new code
with the X-To: change either.

>(...) And then it  took them over a year to admit  that they didn't have
>any source  at all  to the SMTP  modules. So how  could I  possibly have
>asked them to change X-TO/X-FROM to BSMTP, which is clearly better?

All this discussion is irrelevant. So  what, you are not impressed at the
performance of ACC's vendor,  and it was not easy to  get away from them.
The same can  be said by most  PROFS shops. They sure are  trying to make
IBM include native  RFC822 support in PROFS. They sure  are not impressed
with the  robustness of the  code. And they can't  get away from  it just
like that. They suffer as much as ACCESS users from the rest of the world
not running the  same code. That doesn't mean  I'll accept responsibility
for the respective problems of these communities.

>the cost  of changing to something  other than "X-To:" is  tiny, and the
>impact is *ZERO*, I don't understand your resistance.

Perhaps some users have an extension to their mail-reader's REPLY command
to include  things in the "X-To:"  field. And when it  stops working I'll
tell them:  "it's because of  ACCESS/MVS, you  see they can't  handle the
stuff, they will never be able to fix it".

>But then again I have never seen anyone convince you to change your mind
>about anything. I don't even know why I bother trying. I will often take
>a stand  on principle, which is  what I suppose you're  doing with this.
>But there  are known cases  of people convincing  me that I'm  wrong. Of
>course everyone knows  that you're always right, and that  we should all
>be  groveling at  your feet  because otherwise  you'll threaten  to drop
>support or start charging for this perfect piece of software.

You sound bitter - perhaps at the fact that YOU never managed to convince
me of anything, whereas other people have? I don't understand why you are
so  angry at  my  refusal to  change  the 'X-To:'  field.  I see  nothing
preventing  you from  writing a  note  to all  the LISTSERV  maintainers,
explaining that this is a problem and that the stubborn <insert adjective
of your choice here> who wrote the software won't change the code because
he is a <insert  noun>, so can you please edit all  your lists and change
this field or make a source change or whatever. It's not like the code is
OCO and you have to  sign a 30-pages we-won't-ever-make-any-mod agreement
with copies kept by 5 different custodians to get the software. You don't
depend on me to make the world  change to what you suggest. You're asking
me to endorse your  suggestion, and I won't do that, but  I don't see how
that prevents other people from being convinced that you are right.

Your last sentence  and earlier comments give me the  impression that you
don't like LISTSERV,  and feel like it's being imposed  to you. You don't
have to use it,  I'm sure you must have at least  one Un*x workstation on
your campus  where you can set  up mailing lists the  "Internet way". You
can subscribe it to  LISTSERV lists you want to read,  or use the NETNEWS
gateway, there  are many  possibilities. You can  improve the  server you
mentioned to  support mailing  lists. You can  join the  Internet working
group  on LISTSERV  where you'd  have  the opportunity  to design  and/or
implement your own view of mailing  list management servers. You could do
a lot of  productive things in this  respect, but as it  stands you sound
like you  expect LISTSERV  to be  customized to  the personal  opinion of
Leonard Woren, at no cost to you in either personal time or money.

  Eric