John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:03:57 -0400
> I initially thought the same thing - that 'Reply-To=List,Ignore' would
> prevent posters from receiving OOO messages.  It doesn't work, but I'm not
> sure why.

When anyone receives a LISTSERV list message it includes these
pertinent address header fields:

From:   The original composer's address of the message.
To:       The list address
Sender: This field is also optional in any email message. By default,
LISTSERV inserts the list address here, as it is the Sender of the
message. This can be turned off or the address changed by
adding/changing this list keyword:

Sender= None
Sender= any@address
Sender= List  (Default)

With this said, auto-responders *could* be setup to send the OoO
message to any of these address fields. Unfortunately I know of none
that have this feature. My experience has been most auto-responders
will send the OoO message to the From: address. In this case LISTSERV
loses all control since the message by-passes LISTSERV and goes
directly to the original senders address.

Some auto-responders can be set (or are set as the default) to send
the OoO to the Reply-To. If this is set to the List, then the OoO
will go to LISTSERV where it can then delete the message with the
Content Filter.

> According to the List Owner's Manual, it seems like these settings WOULD
> work for Reply-To:
>
> 	List
> 	Replies are directed to the list address.
>
> 	Ignore
> 	The original "Reply-to:" tag on the posting, if any, is ignored and
> discarded, and the value defined in the first parameter of this
> keyword is used instead. If Reply-To= None,Ignore, then a Reply-to: 	tag
> will never be generated by LISTSERV.
>
> 'Reply-To=List,Ignore' does NOT prevent posters from receiving OOO replies.
> Why not?  What am I not understanding?

You are not understanding that just because a message has a Reply-to:
field, doesn't mean an auto-responder is going to use that address for the
destination of the message. Actually, it doesn't mean any MUA or user
is gong to use it either. Any experienced user (or feature rich MUA)
can direct a reply to any address they choose, regardless of any
reply-to address.

> Our list is internal, and all recipients use Microsoft Outlook.  Could it be
> that Outlook's autoresponder disregards the Reply-To header?

If you have  Reply-To= List,Ignore, that is exactly what is
happening. It is sending the OoO to the From: address, which of
course is the original poster. *If* Outlook can be configured to use
the Reply-To:, then if all users would do that, your problem would be
gone.

Historically, it has always been a big No-No to use an auto-responder
when subscribed to any mailing list. This has always been in all my
lists rules. Violators would be warned once and then booted. With the
Content Filter being added to LISTSERV, this has reduced the problem
somewhat. For those who still use them that cannot be configured to
use the Reply-to, they are set to Digest or booted if enough users
complain about getting OoO messages.