"Juan M. Courcoul" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 08:50:16 CST
On Wed, 6 Jan 1993 21:58:15 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>Release  1.7f  will  introduce   an  automatic  digestification  function
>allowing subscribers  who do not have  the time to read  large numbers of
>messages as they arrive to subscribe to a digestified version of the list
>instead...
>                                                     ...........The third
>parameter is  either "Daily"  (the default),  "Weekly" or  "Monthly". The
>last  parameter is  optional  and  specifies when  the  digest  is to  be
>actually distributed.

I really like this idea, but just when I was going to suggest a further
improvement....

On Thu, 7 Jan 1993 01:19:34 EST Larry Rondot said:
>Will it be possible to place a size limit on the digest?  What I would like
>too see is the ability to cut a digest once a week into as many volumes
>required to keep each volume under a given limit (200k).

I definitely have to side with Larry on this. One of the main criteria I would
have for establishing the cutoff limit would be the size of the individual
digest, even if this means having to send out more than one digest a day
(as in the case of extremely active lists, such as INFO-IBMPC or INFO-MAC).
Note that I would prefer to ship out a digest as soon as the limit is reached,
whereas Larry would wait till a specified time limit and then split up the
thing into as many bits as needed.

This may also alleviate the problem of overflowing the A-disk (or wherever
the digest is being accumulated).

Thanks, Eric, for your continued interest in improving an already great
product !

Juan