Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:38:57 PST
> Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:54:25 -0800
> From: "Heller, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Margaret,
> You can allow your edited message to still go out to the list from the
> original sender. Set your list configuration to Send=Editor,Hold,Confirm.
> When a message comes in that you want to edit, go to the top nav bar and
> click "Edit -> Edit Message" and then make your additions or changes. Then,
> you can go through the normal "OK" confirmation process by hitting Reply and
> typing "ok"--the edited message will now go to the list with the original
> sender's name in the header.

I don't think so.....

If she "ok"s the message (by replying to the listserver, not to the
list) it will go out UNEDITED as it was originally submitted, under
the original author's (sender's) headers.

If she edits the message sent to her for "approval", and then wants
_that_ version to be posted, she will have to send the edited version
to the list (not to the listserver) and _it_ will be posted, under her
name (not under the original author's name).

Here is what a list editor receives for instructions, along with
A COPY OF the message that is to be "approved":

---------
Subject:      HQ-ICS-TEST4: approval required (A050A461)
To: Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>

This message was originally  submitted by [log in to unmask]
to the HQ-ICS-TEST4 list at LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG. You  can approve it
using the "OK" mechanism,  ignore it,  or repost  an edited  copy.
...cut, cut...
---------

Notice that listserv says "repost an edited copy". It means you, the
editor can repost (under your own name). Alternatively, the editor
could write back to the original author and ask that person to edit his
message according to what the editor wants, and to resubmit it to the
list. The editor will then receive that copy from listserv for
approval, and can simply "ok" it.

Actually, it would not be very nice at all if LISTSERV allowed an
editor to basically forge the contents of a message. So, I hope my
interpretation of how LISTSERV editing works is correct!
 Peter R