Sat, 9 Aug 1997 08:27:41 -0400
So I get this user who I want to delete, but the ndr doesn't give the
full email address. So I;

>scan ntbugtraq xxxxxxxxx.com
"xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx~xxxxxxxx"@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.COM
SCAN: 1 match.

Note the quotation marks. So next I;

>quiet del ntbugtraq '"xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx~xxxxxxxx"@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.COM'

I get;

>Your command:
>
>  quiet del ntbugtraq '"xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx~xxxxxxxx"@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.COM'
>
>has been received. For security reasons, you are now required to reply

and I do an OK and I get;

> ok
Confirming:
> quiet del ntbugtraq '"xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx~xxxxxxxx"@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.COM'
"xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx~xxxxxxxx"@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.COM is not subscribed to the
NTBUGTRAQ list.
--------------
So the question is, why can't I take the return value of a scan, put
single quotes around it (because it has quotes embedded in it) and get
it to delete the subscriber? I can't wildcard this thing anywhere but
within the quotes which will cause the same problems. How do I delete
the user?

The second question is, if this type of address format causes this
problem, wouldn't it make sense to prevent this type of user from
subscribing in the first place? I have confirmation turned on, so it was
able to send and receive mail from the user??

Cheers,
Russ
R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security
owner of the NTBugTraq mailing list:
http://ntbugtraq.rc.on.ca/index.html