Doron Shikmoni <P85025@BARILVM>
Tue, 25 Jul 89 15:31:57 P
>Point the sender  to LISTSERV, and mail errors are  going to be processed
>by LISTSERV as commands, with the result that the original delivery error
>is lost, and that  you start a "mailing war" with  the mailer in question
>(probably a  gateway) until it gets  served off, after 10  attempts. Then
>you'll  be very  happy  because  any mail  coming  from  this gateway  is
>discarded unread.
>
>Point the  sender to "listname-ERRORS@nodeid",  and you'll have a  lot of
>fun if the list  name is 8 characters; otherwise you'll  need to create a
>VM account  by the name of  the first 8 characters  of "listname-ERRORS",
>courtesy of the  countless mailers which send mail directly,  via NJE, to
>the destination. Neither solution  is satisfactory, personally I'd rather
>opt for the contents of the "Sender=" keyword (if present), or the userid
>of  the main  list owner  if  there's no  "Sender="; that  makes sure  he
>*does* take care to define a "Sender=" :-)

... So point the sender to a special, single, up-to-eight-bytes-long,
"error absorber" address - one for every SERVER, not LIST - and let
LISTSERV process them at its spare time, applying some heuristics
as for what the original LIST name was, to tell the owner, or else -
hand it over to Postmaster.

... Or point the sender to a special error box that *should* be defined
for each list (possible today as an option, I know, but make LISTSERV
handle this box automatically and forward rejections to appropriate
people..).

(Asbestos underwear on)
Doron