Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:46:39 -0500
"Nelson R. Pardee" wrote:

> The topic of implementing a process of automatically or manually deleting lists
> that have reached an assigned expiration date was discussed on this list a few
> years ago. Part of the discussion involved a related process for owners to renew
> their lists. Based on the earlier discussion, there appeared to be a variety of
> mechanisms used at various sites. Some used special naming conventions that
> included an expiration date and others used techniques for detecting unused
> lists (no subscriptions, no messages, etc.). At our site, we want to implement a
> renewal process to eliminate unwanted, inactive and orphaned lists. We are still
> on 1.8d (Win NT), and I was wondering if there is anything new in 1.8e that
> would support this process. Any other new ideas related to this issue?

The way I do it is I have a script that browses the changelogs for all
the lists and detect ones that have had no activity in 2002. No
subscribes or posts. Was pretty easy to do. Then I have it move those
lists to an archive directory and zip 'em up.

Regards,
Al

--
Al Iverson -- [log in to unmask] -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
My pockets hurt. http://www.spamresource.com/