David Herron E-Mail Hack <david%ms.uky.edu@UKMA>
Wed, 13 Jul 88 11:12:54 EDT
Ah, but there *is* a way to do this safely.  You do it on a Unix
machine and use Erik Fair's programs.

As I have said here before I have a copy of his stuff, it is installed
and running fairly well for the couple of test gateways I have
set up, AND I have a job from him to do -- to set up gatewaying
for ALL of the listserv groups into/outof inet distributed newsgroups.

I've looked around on my own and found that doing INDEX ALL at
a LISTSERV will return me an almost nice list of the lists.  Almost
nice because the list name isn't listed on every line -- so to have
a program parsing it would take a small amount of extra work (yes,
you can all go AAAAWWWWW now, it *does* make the job harder, and
the harder the job the less likely I'll be to find the time to do it).
I haven't closely looked at the average mail file from a listserv
yet to see if Erik's programs will do the right thing.  But I beleive
they will.

All of the major problems are now known to be solvable, so now all
that remains is to do it.

The problem there is that I will not be here (i.e. at U of KY) in
6 months.  I don't want to set up something of this magnitude and
then walk away from it, mainly because my replacement is not as
experienced as I am.

So ... the job remains to be done.  Any volunteers?

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <[log in to unmask]>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      ¤rutgers,uunet‡!ukma!david, [log in to unmask]