Chuck Kesler <CHUCK@NCSUVM>
Thu, 10 Dec 87 11:37:43 EST
Hello,
   I don't know how many of you have run across this problem yet, but
someone has propogated a file called CHRISTMA EXEC which is creating a
lot of unnecessary file traffic.  On the guise of simply putting up a
nice "Merry Christmas"-type picture on the screen, what this program
actually does is to send a copy of itself to everyone in the innocent
user's names file.  Potentially, this could be a problem for a LISTSERV
list, if someone who runs this exec happens to have a nick defined for
a list, and that list accepts files, then the CHRISTMA EXEC would end
up being sent to everyone subscribing to that list.  Not a particularly
nice thought.
   My question is this:  what's the best way to prevent LISTSERV from
propogating this file?  Only way I know of doing it is real cheap-- modify
code.  There may be a simpler solution, but this situation is a time bomb
waiting to go off, so there's not really enough time to go wading through
the docs looking for a better answer.  Perhaps someone more knowledgable
of LISTSERV than I already knows the best way to take care of this....

   -chuck   [log in to unmask] -or- [log in to unmask]