Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:31:16 -0400
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Barak Moshe wrote:
> people who would care too much, or have the time to get themselves knowledgeable
> about changing the list header. If they do, it could be all wrong. Also, this
> would help to split the maintenance work around a list between few people
> without the risk that they change the header file.
> I can think of other benefits to other List owners and site
> administrators alike.

> I would like to challenge this approach because I believe this is a feature
> that can be put to use by some/many of us.

   On the off chance that a solution is as important as the challenge.
We have faculty members who make a strong and compelling case for wanting
to be an expert only in the field they are teaching and that field isn't
Listserv.

   This was our solution and I hope it helps you as it has worked
here very well for the last three years:

1. We ask that departments with a large number of lists designate a
   list coordinator to serve with the instructor as owner.
2. We train the list coordinator who manages errors and adds and
   deletes as needed.  This person is typically the departmental
   admin assistant, technician or a staff member looking to get some
   extra skills (a big plus these days).
3. Faculty members, even though they can, don't mess with the header
   because they don't know what to do anyway and have no interest.
   The one exception last year was a faculty member who trashed
   the list with his sig file, but with the new web interface
   that won't happen again.  We have found that they basically leave
   it to the list coordinator for the dept.
4. I asked for and obtained a "List Owner Support" person who would
   assist faculty members who had no list coordinator and who were
   willing to give it a try (our policy demands that anyone who
   wants a list must also be willing to perform list owner duties
   http://post.queensu.ca/listserv/lsv/lsvpolicy.html )
   The List Owner Support person is on a list which gives him owner
   status on all class lists in order to further assist.

We may change these procedures because of the ease of use of the web
interface but this is how it currently stands.  Best of luck to you.

--Trish

Trish Forrest, Queen's University