"A. M. Mughal" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jan 1994 19:21:09 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]],
Nick Laflamme  <[log in to unmask]] wrote:
]If I read your suggestion correctly, Asim, you want LISTSERV to send
]the list editors to confirm all notes they approve by repeating back to
]LISTSERV a randomly generated token for each note they approve?
]This would lead to the sequence:

OPTION 1:

]
]1) user sends note to list
]2) LISTSERV sends note to moderator

]3) moderator sends note to list
]4) LISTSERV sends token to moderator
]5) moderator echoes token to LISTSERV
]6) LISTSERV distributes note
]
]Where 4) and 5) are the new steps for increased security?

        Yes.

OPTION 2:

]Or maybe you want LISTSERV to send the token and remember the note so the
]editor always sends the token back, not the note, but the editor has the
]note so s/he can discuss it with the original author if needed?
]
]1) user sends note to list
]2) LISTSERV sends note and token to moderator
]3) moderator echoes token to LISTSERV
]4) LISTSERV distributes note (which it had kept a copy of)

        that can very well be an option. I wasn't thinking on these lines.
]
]I presume you would also provide a "veto <token]" command so the editor can
]tell LISTSERV that it's OK for it to forget a submitted note?  (This would
]be an alternate 3) above.)
]
]Such a change would seem to take a lot of overhead in the server, and it
]would be a big pain for casual list owners who aren't really interested in
]LISTSERV; things would change for not much apparent reason.  I suppose
]there could be an old compatibility mode as well as a new
]Send=TokenApproval option, but there's still the overhead issue.
]
]Then there's the case when a list owner sets up a list for TokenApproval
]and then refuses to approve or veto messages.  Does LISTSERV automatically
]flush notes which haven't been approved or vetoed ("pocket veto"?), or does
]LISTSERV die as pending notes fill up the disk.

        I say, flush the notes within 12 hrs or less, in both cases,
        option 1 & option 2.

        Like subscription=confirm are within 48 hrs, usually.

]Even if you don't have LISTSERV remember all the pending notes, it has to
]remember the list of pending tokens and what lists they correspond to.
]Otherwise, if someone captures a valid token, you're back to being exposed
]to forgeries and misconfigured e-mail like you experienced.
]
]I'm not saying that this is an unsolvable problem, merely that it's not
]cheap to implement as far as I can tell.
]
]Nick
]
]--
]* ------
]* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre
]* Dame!  User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations
]* from other vendors in an informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
]* [log in to unmask] for details!