Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 10:27:20 -0800
On Fri, 24 Feb 1995 07:03:19 PST, Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
said to Eric, among other things:

>So you see, I am very happy with what is happening.  It is LONG overdue.
>Do you agree?

Dave, A buck (a month?, ever?) I skipped the earlier discussion) seems
like little to pay (each month, once a year, once ever) --I agree.

BUT, I am not confident enough in that position to support it --yet, at
least. I don't think it is LONG overdue (except perhaps to fill an
empty niche --providing access to those who have no other recourse,
and -see below).

There are several issues that I'd consider, including for example:

1. Can I get into a list and out in an instant? E.g., I often "poke
around" in lists that I don't normally subscribe to (either subscribing
first, or not, depending on whether the list is OPEN), to find some
specific thing I need. How would the charging mechanism be implemented
for supporting this not uncommon list behavior? I wouldn't want to have
to wait until someone did a credit check on me first; or, be charged a
signup and first month's fee for example. There'd have to be some
really simple mechanism.

2. If I thought for a moment that charging would seriously affect the
dynamics of peoples' behavior towards _setting up_ lists, e.g., oh,
geez, now I have to worry about billing, or about negotiating with the
service provider in very legal ways; toward _using_ lists, e.g., let's
experiment and see where things go (many people don't think they can
afford to experiment; I think the biases brought by the constraint of
"unaffordability" is significant), I would be very concerned about the
effects of direct user charging on all sorts of user behavior.

3. The use of discussion list technology is just in its infancy (even
though you and I have been using it since its beginnings, and email
before that, and networks before that, and ...). The level of
discovery, of awareness raising, of experimentation, is enormous, still
accelerating, and still with fantastic payoffs for those who only now
are buying into the use of it. Now, paying as you go is a reality of
life --I accept that.  But, the mechanisms by which We pay are many. I
urge caution with respect to mechanism --to not destroy the beast, at
least before We know what it is.

Of course, the direct-pay mechanism is itself a dimension that should be
explored. So, I guess my bottom line is, sure-- experiment with charging.
But, let's not allow the lure of this particular form of entreprenership
to overcome the larger experiment which has yet to be played out (and
won't be for some years).

Sorry if all this has been stated in earlier discussion....
Peter