Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:14:32 -0600
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:41:03 -0400, Michael DeGregory
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1) We sometimes need to send multiple separate emails to the same email address using a distribute mail merge. The reason is that some customers have multiple username's and passwords for their accounts/clients. We need to send a separate email containing this information. The problem was that if the total number of recipients was over 1000 Listserv would only send to only distinct email addresses. I posed this question a few months ago and thankful you were able to offer the solution which was to increase the MAXBSMTP default setting from 1000 to whatever we needed. This seems to work but I was wondering what (if any) the max limit would be? Can we set this to 40,000? Also what (again if any) are the adverse effects on LSMTP? or LISTSERV?

Somehow I doubt this is actually a LISTSERV problem.  LISTSERV doesn't mail to
the end recipients, LISTSERV only mails to the outgoing mailer (LSMTP,
sendmail, HDMail, Postfix, MailEnable, whatever).  MAXBSMTP merely sets the
max # of addresses that will be in a single email going to the outbound
mailer.  For unix, this defaults to 100, for Windows, 1000.  But it can be
varied depending on the capabilities of the mailer in use.  Normally I would
not set it to higher than 5000, but there is no internal limit.  Available
disk space may always impose a limit of its own, as is true for any program.

>2) We wanted to block a specific IP address from sending emails to listserv. I saw an option in the configuration that said "FILTER ALSO" would I just use the below syntax to block the IP address?
>
>*@[IP_ADDRESS]

Alas, this cannot be done.  If you are using SMTP Listener there is no way to
block incoming email by IP of origin.

However, your site is using LSMTP for incoming mail and there is a way to
block incoming mail from a certain IP using LSMTP.

Add these lines to your file  x:\LSMTP\config.dat (using notepad)

(of course, substitute a real domain name and the correct IP address)

MailerAddress 1.2.3.4
    MailerName=badmailer.example.net

Mailer badmailer.example.net
    MaxMessageSizeIn=1
    MaxRecipientsPerMessageIn=1

Stop and restart LSMTP after this.

This works by limiting the max message size in the incoming message to 1 byte.
It is impossible to conduct an SMTP transaction in only 1 byte, so this
effectively blocks incoming mail from that IP.  Do not be tempted to set
MaxMessageSizeIn=0 because that is the default setting which disables this
function.

Repeat above for additional single IPs you wish to block.

You can also block whole ranges of IP addresses using CIDR notation:

MailerAddress 220.0.0.0/8
    MailerName=spammer

MailerAddress 65.110.13.0/24
    MailerName=spammer