Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:19:39 -0500
In 5.4.5 of the site manager's manual,
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#_Toc9062339 , it's
very clearly stated:

-- begin excerpt --

5.4.5. Creating a subdirectory for the archive interface

Create a subdirectory on your web server to contain the various files
LISTSERV will be creating for the web archive interface. The suggested name
(and the name LISTSERV will expect by default) for the subdirectory you
will create in this step is 'archives'. Under IIS, you would typically make
the directory C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\ARCHIVES for this purpose. For a unix
server running Apache it might be /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/archives .
Please note the following IMPORTANT restrictions carefully:

- Do not simply use your main HTML documents directory as LISTSERV will
create quite a few files. It is much more orderly to keep the web archive
interface's files and subdirectories in their own place in any case.

- Do not use the directory you keep the list's notebook archives in for
this purpose. Notebook archives should always be kept separate from the web
interface, preferably in a completely separate directory hierarchy.

- Corollary to the above: Do not set the Notebook= keyword for any list so
that the list's notebook archives are kept in the subdirectory used by the
web archive interface for the list.

-- end excerpt --

Nathan