Nick Gimbrone <NJG@CORNELLA>
Thu, 03 Sep 87 14:58:49 EDT
>> Could your problem be that while VMARCHIVE is cleaning your log disk every
>> couple of hours, LISTSERV does not know the files are gone since he does
>> not re-access the disk.  Perhaps a simple ACCess command before writing
>> on the disk will take care of it.
>
>Is LISTSERV keeping track of the over 2500 files?  My program does not
>actually WRITE anything on the disk, it only ERASEs files for which archiving
>was successful (that is supposed to rewrite the directory).
For the archiver to erase files it must have a R/W link. I assume the
archiver is in a separate userid. This implies that LISTSERV has a
R/O link and that to write on the disk it must re-link and access the
disk. If it is releasing the disk when done writing on it then the
directory is getting rewritten ok (which eliminates a few sources of
potential problems). On the other hand, if the archiver is a task
within LISTSERV, then this is a different problem... Can you clarify
this?