Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:02:47 -0400
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:16:09 PDT, Bob Kaneshige said:

> and Listserv has been on this campus since the beginning.  Remember the
> BB's, RELAY, Eric's CHAT, MAILER, Rice Mail, RSCS, VM/CMS...those were the
> good old days.

And we got it all to work, even though the workhorses of the era were 780-class
Vaxen and IBM 43xx boxes. Often 16M of main memory, 1 MIPSs of processing
power.  The biggest box around was an IBM 3084, at 26 MIPS and 128M of ram.
Maybe a few gig of disk, serving an entire school, and connected via a 9600
leased line.  56K if you were big and/ or had downstream schools to feed.  A
T-1 if you were nuts.

I'm sitting here writing this on a laptop that has about 1,000 times the
CPU of the original CLVM, 48 times the RAM, 12 times the disk, and 12
times the network connectivity (I'm at home on cheap DSL - in the office
it's more like 1,800 times the net).

And my kids think I'm nuts when I tell them entire universities used to share
the resources that now fit in a Sharp Zaurus...