Sullivan Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:32:57 -0400
We recently completed a significant upgrade to our listserv
infrastructure, which unforunately included 3 significant changes:

1)  We went from a very old 15.5 to 16.0 (the intent is to upgrade to
16.5 soon, but we wanted to minimize the visible change from this
portion of the upgrade)

2)  We started using it to handle mailing lists for a large number of
classes (so there are literally thousands of list for different
classes).  Previously, the number of class lists was much smaller.  Each
of these class lists does a dynamic database query to get the
subscribers and owners.

3)  We moved from DB2 to Oracle.

As of the last couple days, our listserv is being rendered useless due
to database operations.

What happens, in the logs I see:

10 Jul 2018 12:24:08 From [ANONYMOUS]: X-LOGCK 644769FB6AA0CBC93D
AUTHINFO(97.97.58.231) ORGINFO(97.97.58.231) WM: LIST O(...)

followed immediately by thousands of SQL lookups:

SQL> SELECT email from OUR_TABLE where list = 'FALL-2018-...' and
owner_group = '1'

it appears that listserv tries to look up the emails for every one of
the dynamic lists.  This takes quite a while, during which time the
listserv interface is unresponsive, and no mail is being delivered.

Unfortunately, these queries are happening many times over the course of
the day.

I know that other listserv installations can query ours to get
information about lists, but in our go.user file, we have:

    RUNMODE="STANDALONE"

which I thought would isolate us.

I'm looking into this, but due to the immediate impact, I'm hoping that
someone can provide some information sooner than I will find it.

Specifically, I would like to know what is happening, and how I can
prevent it.

Thanks so much.

--

Sullivan Beck