"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:44:19 EDT
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:37:59 -0400 John Lyon said:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:47:41 -0600 Ben Parker said:

>> >Yes, if they are subscribed to the list.  If they are not subscribed
>> >(preferred option) then of course they don't need to be set to POST.
>>
>> But since the default-options is the options for non-subscribers, they
>> wouldn't be able to post then either.   The only way they could post
>> would be to be subscribed, and set to POST.
>
>Not true. User and default options do not apply to non-subscribers.

From the Site Managers Manual

Starting with LISTSERV 1.8d, all default options are applied to
non-subscribers, so it is possible to force even non-subscribers to post
through a moderator by simply setting "Default-Options= REVIEW", or lock them
out altogether by setting "Default-Options= NOPOST". This works even if your
list is set "Send= Public", in which case there is a side benefit: the setting
will stop people whom you have set to REVIEW or NOPOST from signing off the
list and being able to post.

So if you are running 1.8d or higher, my statement applies.  If it doesn't
work, you have a bug.