Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:06:52 +0200
> The LISTSERV web interface (2000b on Linux in my case) doesn't
> play well for a list-owner currently "served out".  The web userid/pswd
> (via intermediate page or cookie) is recognized by LISTSERV, but
> then something in LISTSERV seems to trigger failures on succeeding
> pages.

This is not a bug per se (you are not supposed to be able to use LISTSERV
if you are served out), but I agree that a successful, authenticated web
interface access should reset the condition transparently. This will be the
case in 1.8e, except for administrative SERVE OFF, which can only be
reset by the administrator. In that case, you will get a message saying
that your access has been disabled by the administrator.

> These two OoO problems are fairly easily addressed by LSoft  by
> enabling list owners or site managers to distribute posts with the one
> or two non-standard, but defacto standard e-mail headers (e.g.,
> precedence bulk).

I am only aware of one such supposedly "de facto" magical out of
office problem solving field, "Precedence: bulk". You assert that, were
LISTSERV to paste this tag on every outgoing message, the problem
would disappear, but you provide no evidence of this assertion. You
further state in your message that the most problematic out of office
programs are those that do not even send the message to the right
address. It does not seem automatically obvious that an out of office
program that does not even understand something as basic as the
difference between MAIL FROM and "From:" is going to know about
non-standard sendmailia like "Precedence:". I would be glad to be
proved wrong, but currently we are working under the assumption
that there is no silver bullet for the out of office problem and the only
working solution is to analyze and catalog out of office messages,
then put filters in LISTSERV to recognize them.

  Eric