Mark_Strawcutter <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Oct 90 14:39:00 EDT
Here's the original posting:

>Date: Tue, 9 Oct 90 02:44:58 EDT
>From: Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: "Forum on LISTSERV release 1.6" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Mark Strawcutter <[log in to unmask]>
>
>  My question is how do you protect a list and the Subsribers
>of that list from something like this?
>  This is NOT another INTERNET hole!  I am sending this posting
>from BITNET.

Nick interprets:

>Eric's note had a Reply-To: pointing to some third user, which is
>presumably what he's worried about.  Apparently Eric is concerned about
>our ability to dump mail to some unsuspecting user and found a irritant
>to prove his point with. :-)

My interpretation (hopefully just as valid).

ALEX@AUVM is the "real" sender.  The reply-to is to let us know this (he could
have just as easily left it off).  Create your own BSMTP mail file and send
it class=M to a non-paranoid mailer.  Since LISTs are usually config'd to
send minimal headers, the ones that non-paranoid mailers insert to point
out possible impersonations don't make it to the list members.

Mark J Strawcutter                           BitNet:    MJSTRAW@IUP
Director, Systems and Data Communications    InterNet:  [log in to unmask]
Indiana University of Pennsylvania           AT&T:      (412) 357-4000
Indiana, PA   15705                          "you can't nail jello to a tree"