Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 12 Sep 89 16:44:53 GMT
Michael, you  are asking questions  to which I would  like to know  the answer
myself. The answer is, of course, "it depends". It depends on whom is going to
do the work. Assuming it is me, I can provide some partial answers.

>Will a new listserv be developed?

I don't know.

>Will it be compatible with EARN?

It depends on  EARN. Compatibility with EARN  would be very low on  my list of
concerns, as  I would probably make  the code available to  EARN under similar
conditions as BITNET.

>Will it be compatible with older listservs?

The internals will be incompatible. Most  of the functions will be compatible,
with some  exceptions. Let's say the  difference would be like  between the CP
components of VM/XA and VM/SP 4.

>Will it be documented?

Yes, I do realize the importance of that.

>Will it  be coordinated in its  development so that certain  needed functions
>can be addressed?

What does that mean?

>Will this new listserv be free for use?

Definitely not. I'm no  longer living with daddy and momma,  and need money to
eat. Someone  would have to  pay at  least my salary,  it would depend  on the
conditions under which the software is developed.

The answer to the remaining questions is "I don't know".

>It is my personal belief that the current listserv has not been funded

This is a fact, not a personal belief.

>If  a new  one  were to  be  developed, one  that is  faster  with even  more
>functionality (not just the needed stuff),  then I could seeing paying (not a
>huge amount) for  its development as long  as it met the needs  of the entire
>network (that means all cooperating factions of the network).

I hope you realize the amount of  work that this requires. It goes well beyond
a couple  hours a day, well  into the category of  full-time development. Into
the category of paid  labour, which means that, at the  very least, there must
be a source of money to send a  check to the individual(s) writing the code at
the end of the month, otherwise they won't eat.

  Eric