Chris Pepper <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:47:30 -0400
        Erm, I believe you're mistaken. When our LISTSERV (1.8c NT)
receives such a mesage, it has *not* sent the message to the list, because
it believes that might create a loop. I send a reply to the poster
reminding them that they must either remove or mask the Sender: line
cc:Mail puts on the reply. LISTSERV's reaction to seeing itself as a source
(Sender:) on a message is to refuse to send it farther, as this looks like
a potential loop. Preceding the troublesome line with > or some other
character will identify it for LISTSERV as something other than an 'active'
header, and avoid tripping loop detection.

        FWIW, our main mail system is cc:Mail, which exhibits this behavior
(copying headers into the bodies of replies without quoting).

                                                Chris Pepper

--
Chris Pepper | National Audubon Society: Web & List Manager
212 979 3092 |    <http://www.audubon.org/staff/pepper/>