Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:46:21 -0500
At 18:22 2003/01/22 -0500, Margaret King wrote:
>Recently I received such a request and as I was composing
>my email to the requestor, I thought to check the online
>Listserv documentation to see whether L-Soft is still
>concerned about this duplicate-name issue.  In the 1.8e
>documentation (we are actually on 1.8d but for something
>like this it seemed best to look in the current docs), I
>found sections on "Naming Conventions" in both the Site
>Manager's manual and the List Owner's manual.  Neither one
>mentioned this issue at all, unless I was looking in the
>wrong place....

It's still in the list owner's manual, in chapter 2.1.  Chapter 2 is an
overview of what you need to do to start a mailing list.

>Does this mean that I can now set up lists without having
>to check the name against the CataList?  That would be a
>great relief (and sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only
>one doing it anymore anyway).

This was never required; it was simply a suggestion, mostly to avoid having
half a dozen lists for every conceivable subject, and/or to avoid
overloading namespace for listnames that could conceivably apply to
multiple subjects.  You're free to call a list whatever you want, within
the limits of the naming conventions.

Nathan