Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:23:43 -0400
On 9/28/2009 15:06, Pete Weiss wrote:
> At 14:43 9/28/2009 Monday, Michael Loftis wrote:
>> Unless they set the extra addresses to nomail.
>
> Sometimes I recommend that the additional address be set to DIGEST or INDEX (and have done so for myself, too).
>
> /Pete

This can prove to be very useful.  I used to be subscribed to a rather prolific
list which was configured to use topics.  I was particularly interested in one
specific topic, and wanted to receive messages in that topic as soon as they
were posted.  I was generally interested in most other topics and did not want
to miss interesting threads, but was less concerned about receiving the messages
in a timely manner.

I subscribed to the list using address1, and set the subscription to MAIL with
my particular topic of interest as the only topic to which that address was
subscribed.  When a message was posted in that topic, I received it in a
timely manner.

I also subscribed to the list using address2, and set that subscription to
INDEX.  It does not matter which topics you select when you are subscribed in
DIGEST or INDEX mode, because the digest/index message will contain (links to)
all messages posted since the last digest/index.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team