"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:04:45 -0700
At 08:35 AM 6/16/2002, I wrote:
>I am in the process of upgrading to 1.8e.   Some questions:
>
>1.  I notice that when I log in to the "Subscribers Corner" under my own
>email address/password, I have no problem toggling between "Subscribed
>Lists" and "All Lists."  Yet when I log in under another test
>address/password, it will only display subscribed lists even when I select
>"All Lists" from the drop-down menu.  The only difference between the two
>addresses that I can think of is that I have admin privileges under my
>email address, whereas the test address does not.  I'd like subscribers
>without admin privileges to be able to toggle to all public lists,
>subscribed or not.  Advice?

As I reported subsequent to this posting, I have tested this problem with a
beta test list of over 500 volunteers -- of the hundreds who responded,
100% reported the same problem (except those who were running Netscape 4.7
-- they couldn't view the page at all, as has been discussed in another
thread here).  They could not view all the public lists using the ALL LISTS
drop-down from the Subscribers Corner page.

For what it's worth, a colleague has pointed out that the Subscriber's
Corner on the L-SOFT site, at
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3, does not display the
ALL LISTS for him, either.  I just tried it.  I was able only to display
the seven lists to which I am subscribed; it would not show me ALL LISTS,
but rather only those to which I was subscribed.  I thought perhaps that
one possible explanation was that there were only seven lists that are
public.  To eliminate that possibility, I unsubscribed from one of the
public lists to which I was subscribed, then tried it again.  It then
displayed only the six lists to which I was then subscribed, even under the
ALL LISTS view.

In other words, the problem I have been reporting on my own installation at
http://charitychannel.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 has now seemingly been
objectively verified even on the L-SOFT site at
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3.

One conclusion I draw is that the foregoing would seem to reduce nearly to
100% the possibility that there is something amiss in my own install of
1.8e, since I presume L-SOFT's own install is correct.  It would therefore
seem to be a bug.

On the other hand, the two L-SOFT technical support colleagues I spoke with
were unable to duplicate my problem on my site.  In other words, when they
tried it, they were able to toggle to ALL LISTS and thereby view all public
lists on my server.  I do not have an explanation for this.  I suspect
there is a strong clue in here somewhere, but I don't have enough
information to go further.  I also suspect that there is a strong clue in
the fact that I can view ALL LISTS when I'm logged on using my admin
address, but not when I'm logged on using a non-privileged address.

One possibility that occurred to me was that L-SOFT technical support
colleagues might have built-in privileges akin to my own admin privileges,
which might have explained why they had no problem toggling to the ALL
LISTS view (where all my public lists displayed).  However, such is not the
case, according to the L-SOFT technical support colleague with whom I spoke.

I'm at a loss here and would very much appreciate a solution if there is one.

For what it's worth, I am running WIN XP using IE 6.

Steve

Stephen C. Nill, J.D.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer
CharityChannel.com