"S. PETE HOYLE" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:42:07 EST5EDT
Fairly recently, I did REVIEW on the list [log in to unmask]
Each time, the report told me that there were somewhere between 1400
and 1500 subscribers. I happened to refer to that number in a posting
to the list, and another subscriber who had ACK enabled at the time
sent me a copy of one of her acknowledgement messages, sent between
the times of my 2 REVIEW commands; the acknowledgement said that her
message had been distributed to some 800+ recipients.

Are these figures measuring 2 different things? Is it that almost
half of the subscribers use NOMAIL or DIGEST, and these are not
counted?  No great importance to me, really, but my curiosity was
aroused, especially if I am mis-representing the number of people
seeing postings when I try to say how widely read any given list is.

--
  Pete Hoyle - William & Mary Technology Services Computing Support
  [log in to unmask] - (804) 221-4357   (221-HELP)