Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Jun 1991 15:49:44 +0200
On Wed, 5 Jun 1991 13:03:01 EDT Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Please note that anything Rich writes will most likely be covered by the
>GNU Public License, which has been referred to as the "gnu public virus"
>due to  some of its "copyleft"  features. Please read it  *carefully* to
>determine if the conditions are acceptable -

Freedom of software is one of  the aspects of Richard Stallman's personal
"quest" against today's most dangerous criminals:

1. People/companies who *sell* software (software should be free).

2. People/companies who  work on making computers  more secure (computers
   should have no "locks").

Your  average  Richard  Stallman  program  is  not  unlikely  to  contain
statements such as '/* Someone put something here for security, I removed
it */'. Feel free to ftp  /etc/passwd from the anonymous ftp directory of
the GNU  machine, it's been  placed there on  purpose. Here are  a couple
quotes from the EMACS release notes:

"GNU Emacs does not support encryption.  Down with security!"

;; you can of course turn this off by doing
;;  (setq ftp-password-alist 'compulsory-urinalysis)
(defvar ftp-password-alist () "Security sucks")

>Other  than that,  Rich is  quite the  programmer -  both the  GNU Emacs
>editor and the GNU gcc compiler are  regarded as among the best in their
>respective fields...

I agree with Valdis,  except that he forgot to mention  that the field in
question is  known under the  name of "Unix"  - an environment  where the
"standard" system editor is 'vi' and  where C compilers often do not have
any "real" optimizer.  I have a copy  of GCC on a  (quoting RMS's release
notes) Vomit  Making System machine  and, while  the code it  produces is
more than decent, it is the slowest  compiler I have ever seen. Also, I'm
afraid Ken's  C compiler produces  less vomit per  unit of source  code -
unless  you ask  for a  listing, but  then everyone  knows that  compiler
listings and  cross-references are intrinsically useless  (proof: if they
weren't, GCC would know how to make one).

Now that the intro is over... I'd  be delighted to hear that RMS is going
to make a  mailing-list server for GNU ("GNU's Not  Un*x" - "GNU's Nearly
Un*x" would  be more accurate, but  for some reason the  official name is
the former),  so that I  can stop having  to answer complaints  from Un*x
people who are  unhappy about the fact that end-users  do not have access
to privileged  commands, when they can  so easily fake the  'From:' field
and my passwords  are not secure since they are  not crypt(3)'ed anyway -
so why not  make the LIST files  world writable and set  up a 'subscribe'
guest account? However, I'm afraid  that the newspaper in question (which
I haven't read) was probably talking about a 'list processor'. Obviously,
a list processor is not a LISTSERV  but a compiler or interpreter for the
LISP  language  - it's  so  obvious  that any  self-respecting  newspaper
reporter  should know  this,  and  there really  is  no  point saying  it
explicitly. The LISP language is what  EMACS macros are written in - look
at the quote  beginning with '(setq' above for an  example (oops, I meant
'(setq  of  course  :-)  ).  My   understanding  (but  I  may  well  have
misunderstood) is that RMS would like  LISP to be the system language for
GNU, and now  that he's got a C  compiler it would make sense  for him to
work on a LISP garbage collector (oops, interpreter).

Disclaimer: I am  a criminal, I use brain-damaged operating  systems on a
daily basis and never  liked having to take care of  the garbage bags. In
other words, I  am hopelessly asinine and you shouldn't  make the mistake
of taking me seriously.

  Eric