Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:13:26 -0400
Very short answer: It's an LSMTP bug with no fix... though perhaps
not entirely LSMTP's fault since it's based on somewhat non-standard
behavior from the receiving sites.

Longer answer:

We've seen that MANY times.  Finally tracked it down to remote
servers which terminate an incoming connection improperly -- they
basically say HELO, then drop the connection.  LSMTP immediately
retries, over and over and over and over... often 10 or 20 times a
second.

This is nearly always caused by a particular type of spam message --
if I recall correctly, something about an e-mail address with a
return path encoded to include the area it originated from and the
fact that the spam was processed.  Over many years only twice was it
legitimate e-mail out of hundreds or thousands of bad ones.  We
learned to check out the queue every few days and throw away the
looping messages after taking a peek at pertinent fields.  I think
you'll find they all are small, well under 2K, and all have very
similar convoluted return paths.  If they don't, then you might have
a legitimate message and should look at the body.

Bill