Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:26:23 -0400
  I'm no expert ...

BUT base-64 encoded  is plain text and might be sent in the body w/o
MIME headers. IIRC, LISTSERV does not block plain text attachments.
Depending upon your MUA, it might create a file.

Using a mimimum / appropriate SIZELIM= will help reduce  the likelihood
of virus encodings being transmitted.

The below error message may or may NOT be a function of your list's (not
LISTSERV(R)) distributions.  Email has been known to be spoofed and/or
false positives of a/v software.

Did you receive the email?  Is it in the archives for your to inspect
e.g., the headers?

/P