Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 May 1994 17:12:03 +0200
This message was posted on Thu, 26 May 1994 16:03:23 -0400 by Jim Conklin
on behalf of Ken King, CREN's Executive Director. The message was sent to
the LSTSRV-L list, a forum for the discussion of L-Soft products. Most of
the  people subscribing  to  this list  are  LISTSERV administrators,  ie
people in charge of making  purchase recommendations for L-Soft products.
This message  was not  an emotional, late-night  reaction to  some L-Soft
announcement: no  announcement had been posted  on that day, nor  is this
message in reply to any recent discussion held on the LSTSRV-L list, and,
above all, the message  was posted by Jim Conklin on  behalf of Ken King.
This  means at  least two  individuals were  involved, and  the resulting
message is by  no means a spur-of-the-moment incident. For  better or for
worse, it carries the full weight of the organization.

The message is being quoted  in its entirety, with interspersed comments.
Because of the  threat to the NJE  network in point 4, I  am copying this
message to the NODMGT-L and TECHREP lists.

>        One of the  goals of the CREN software acquisition  effort is to
>protect its  members from  the rampant greed  of monopolists.  For those
>considering doing business with a company  that operates in the style of
>L-Soft, the following advice may be helpful.

L-Soft does  not intend  to reply  to such  statements in  kind. L-Soft's
style, for better or for worse,  is to answer deprecating statements with
hard  facts,  products,  and  prices.  Besides which,  the  fact  that  a
respectable,  non-profit organization  of higher  education is  driven to
such verbal extremes in  the face of a company 1/10th of  its size says a
lot more about  the state of affairs  in CREN than I  possibly could with
1000 lines of carefully laid prose.

>1.  Look at  Schedule "C"  of the  CREN/L-Soft Agreement.  That schedule
>states the prices L-Soft was proposing to charge CREN members before the
>Listproc  acquisition was  announced. At  that point  in time,  the CREN
>transition plan from  NJE to IP was presumably hostage  to an IP version
>of LISTSERV.

Schedule  C is  a price  guarantee,  not a  price list.  CREN demanded  a
19-month guarantee on the maximal prices for certain L-Soft services as a
pre-requisite  for signing  the CREN/L-Soft  agreement. We  provided that
guarantee by documenting our list prices - the corporate ones, as some of
CREN's  members are  for-profit  organizations. CREN  did  not raise  any
objection  as to  the dollar  amounts, in  spite of  the fact  that these
prices were higher than the package rates  we had at that time. And it is
only natural that  CREN did not object, as the  everyday laws of business
dictate the use  of package offers, introductory rates  for new products,
and other promotional  offers which are obviously  more advantageous than
list prices.

>2. Be wary of  prices to be set later when  they have "more experience".
>For  example, if  a maintenance  price is  to be  set later,  and you're
>committed at  that time, you  may be subject  to the rules  described in
>item number 1.

There is  no need not  worry about that.  The maintenance prices  for the
unix version of  LISTSERV will be announced and guaranteed  for 12 months
when  the product  is released,  as we  have now  gathered the  necessary
information on  the respective market  shares of the various  unixes, and
procured  development facilities  for the  most popular  ones. Purchasing
officers are not stupid, and ask such questions as a matter of routine.

>3. Get  a complete  definition of  what a  perpetual license  means that
>distinguishes  between a  new release  and a  new product.  For example,
>remember LISTSERV  VM-TCP/IP is a  new product requiring a  new license,
>not an upgrade from LISTSERV VM-NJE.

The said perpetual licenses were granted, free of charge, to 150-odd CREN
members, in  some cases as early  as 1986 (note that  these licenses were
granted by Eric  Thomas, not L-Soft international Inc.) For  7 years, the
software remained  available for  free, and  new versions  were regularly
issued at no charge. Last summer,  Eric Thomas decided to found a company
to  offer a  more professional  (and  entirely optional)  service to  the
existing  LISTSERV  users, and  to  use  the  proceeds to  develop  major
improvements, such  as LISTSERV-TCP/IP and  the VMS and unix  versions of
LISTSERV. These products are now being sold by L-Soft international Inc.,
and indeed they are not available as  a free license upgrade. None of our
customers so far appeared the least  surprised when we informed them that
there would be something  to pay. CREN appears to be  alone in the belief
that LISTSERV-TCP/IP, developed at a significant manpower cost to L-Soft,
should be a free upgrade to LISTSERV-NJE.

Similarly,  Anastasios  Kotsikonas  granted  a number  of  free  ListProc
licenses over the past few years.  In March, CREN purchased the rights to
ListProc,  and has  since then  been funding  its continued  development.
CREN's public message, "Pricing  of CREN's ListProcessor software", makes
it clear that  CREN intends to require  new licenses for the  use of this
new version.  That is, CREN  decided to make  ListProc version 7.0  a new
product, and the  users of version 6.0  will be required to  obtain a new
license. If  this is  appropriate behaviour  for a  non-profit networking
organization, surely it must also be legitimate for a software vendor.

>4. Remember  that dropping CREN  membership will result in  your removal
>from the BITNET routing tables.

This statement is an excellent illustration  of the risks CREN alluded to
in its  introduction. This threat  is only effective because  CREN holds,
for the time being, a de facto monopoly on NJE connectivity in the US. If
your business  depends on NJE,  you have no choice  but to pay  the price
CREN sets, or be disconnected.

Thankfully, L-Soft has developed, over  the last few months, new products
and services to provide a  smooth, non-disruptive migration path from NJE
to TCP/IP  (and then  from VM to  either VMS or  unix). Many  former CREN
members found it more advantageous  to purchase a LISTSERV-TCP/IP license
from L-Soft, at  a one-time cost on  the same order as  their yearly CREN
membership  dues, than  to continue  their CREN  membership. Undoubtedly,
CREN's public statement will only serve  to convince more CREN members of
the merits of this course of action.

There are, however, many L-Soft customers who still rely on NJE for their
business,  and for  whom LISTSERV-TCP/IP  is simply  not an  option. More
importantly,  a very  large  proportion of  L-Soft's customers  indicated
that, while  they could abandon NJE  if it became really  necessary, they
would rather  keep the service if  at all possible. Many  explained that,
unfortunately,  their  management  was  no longer  willing  to  pay  CREN
membership dues of up  to $8000 yearly just for NJE.  Because it is these
customers' desire  to continue with  NJE and because NJE  facilitates the
use  of certain  LISTSERV functions,  and in  particular the  file server
functions, L-Soft  would be very  interested in providing  affordable NJE
access to these customers. L-Soft's  estimate is that the actual per-node
cost of managing the worldwide NJE network is on the order of $50-70/year
(fifty to  seventy dollars), including  overhead. At these  rates, L-Soft
would be  able to bundle free  NJE access with each  maintenance contract
for LISTSERV-NJE. This in turn would make it a lot easier for many L-Soft
customers to  get management approval  for the  continued use of  NJE, as
they would no longer need to justify  NJE access as a separate item. And,
of course, L-Soft would agree in writing and in perpetuity to allow other
companies to compete for the provision of NJE access. L-Soft does not see
NJE as  a revenue-generating venture,  but as  a useful side  addition to
L-Soft's offerings -  one that would allow us to  offer one-stop shopping
to our "traditional" mainframe/NJE customers.

This, unfortunately, is not possible today, because of CREN's monopoly. A
monopoly that, judging from the  statement quoted above, CREN is unlikely
to open up before the July 1st deadline.

>5. In the next few weeks there  may be some CREN announcements that will
>help you get an even better deal. Watch BITNEWS.

In the next few days, L-Soft  will (not "may") publish announcements that
will provide an affordable alternative to current ListProc users who, not
being CREN  members, do  not benefit from  our "75%  membership" package.
This, along with CREN's price list for ListProc, which offers licenses to
non-CREN  members  at  a  rate  that  is  usually  much  lower  than  the
corresponding yearly CREN membership dues,  will indeed help the academic
market get an "even better deal".

  Eric Thomas
  Manager of Design & Development
  L-Soft international, Inc.