Doug Essinger-Hileman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:18:43 -0500
I am continuing to track down the large digest problems we're having.
To help in our diagnosis, I would be greatly aided by the answers to
a couple of questions.

First, I am wondering about the mechanism that Listserv uses to keep
track of the size of the digest (to determine when to send out a
special edition). My hypothesis is that Listserv has an internal
counter somewhere, and it counts the number of lines in an incoming
message and adds that number to the counter. When the counter reaches
the specified limit, it fires off the digest. Is my hypothesis
correct? If so, can this counter be monitored?

Second, I am wondering about the process of sending out the digest.
My hypothesis is that when Listserv gets an email, it processes it,
sending it off to the MTA (Postfix in our case); then it checks to
see if the digest size warrants a special edition. If it has, I am
hypothesizing that Listserv then creates another process to send out
the digest. This process resets the internal counter, then ships the
email off to the MTA for delivery (in that order). Am I anywhere near
correct in this?

Doug