"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Wed, 4 Oct 89 12:29:02 SET
Sorry for  the rather lengthy  message but maybe  it's of interest  for others
too:
On Tue, 03 Oct 89 11:20:08 EST you said:
>To my knowledge I didn't send any distribute any list update job from
>BNLVMA.  Do you have the spooled output from listserv that you could send
>me to show the specifics.  Is it possible that the file I included on my
>mail to the lstsrv-l listserv group from bnlvma, not bnlvmxa, caused a
>distribute?  Currently bnlvmxa is an xa system that is connected to bnlvma
>via ctca and is run as a guest.  Some day (probably not for a year)
>the nodename may change.  Since bnlvmxa is currently just under test,
>it is not in bitearn nodes or rscs direct and should be known only
>to bnlvma.  I apologize for any inconvenience the incident may have
>caused you; I am interested in knowing more of the details, so I can
>understand what triggered the list update job.

Well, you did "hide" BNLVMXA. What BNLVMXA  knows about the world I can't tell
from here but I guess that at least YALEVM is accessible.
What happened? I'll try a short explanation:
 1) You  defined one or  more global lists  on your XA-LISTSERV (xal). (Global
    means you didn't  restrict access by means of a  Service= or Confidential=
    keyword.)
                       --- OR ---
    (this is  what happened in your  case) xal determined that  it should send
    the  monthly checksum  report (every  30 days  or if  the global  variable
    LASTFWD in LSVLDELT is empty)
    Remark: if you still have the console you will find something like
               Executing WAKEUP event... LSVLDELT
         and after that: .... the monthly checksum record is being sent.

 2) Your xal sent out the  checksum for distribution to the backbone LISTSERVs
    (every backbone  holds a  list of  lists and some  have also  the database
    function enabled).
    In case of  changes in the lists  it would also have  sent the appropriate
    DEL, HDR and REP commands.
 3) Your xal forwarded the information to the nearest backbone (YALEVM).
 4) YALEVM  got the information  together with an  indication that it  was the
    first  backbone  and that  it  should  DISTRIBUTE  the  job to  the  other
    backbones.
 5) Update  jobs  have a  checksum  added  to  ensure  the  integrity  of  the
    information. Since  BNLVMXA didn't exist  yet the checksums  didn't match.
    When this happens the original sender is requested to send a complete list
    of  it's list  so that  the  checksums can  again  get in  synch. So  each
    backbone sent this kind of request to [log in to unmask]
 6) BNLVMXA  isn't  known  to  RSCS  the tiny  little  jobs  got rejected  and
    eventually transferred to the postmasters.

You'll find part of  the console below. That's the magic  with LISTSERV - once
started it does things on it's own :-).
(lines starting with #### are comments ...)
*----------------- Listserv's Console ----------------------------*
#### here comes the DIST job ...
3 Oct 1989 08:24:22 Processing file (4562) from LISTSERV@CEARN
3 Oct 1989 08:24:23 From LISTSERV@CEARN: DIST2 FROM=LISTSERV@BNLVMXA I=Y FORW(VI
A) HOST(24 24) TO LISTSERV AWIIMC11 LISTS (...)
3 Oct 1989 08:24:24 Distributing file "X-LUPD JOB" from LISTSERV@BNLVMXA...
3 Oct 1989 08:24:24 File "X-LUPD JOB" distributed to [log in to unmask]
* File "X-LUPD JOB" from LISTSERV@BNLVMXA has been sent to you.
3 Oct 1989 08:24:25 File "X-LUPD JOB" distributed to [log in to unmask]
3 Oct 1989 08:24:25 End of distribution.
#### The X-LUPD is processed .....
3 Oct 1989 08:24:26 Processing file (4563) from LISTSERV@BNLVMXA
3 Oct 1989 08:24:27 From LISTSERV@BNLVMXA: X-LUPD FWD=NO DATE=1989100223:00:01 H
DR=YES
> CKS 760574276
#### The checksums don't match ...
3 Oct 1989 08:24:31 >>> Checksum error (0 vs the expected 760574276) <<<
#### ... and a Refresh request is sent ...
3 Oct 1989 08:24:32 Refresh request sent to [log in to unmask]
>>> 135 peered lists
3 Oct 1989 08:24:38 GLOBLIST FILE has been successfully updated.
#### ... which is rejected by RSCS
RDR FILE 4565 TRANSFERRED FROM RSCSEARN
3 Oct 1989 08:24:39 Sent information mail to REICHETZ@AWIIMC11
3 Oct 1989 08:24:41 RSCS message: FILE 4565 (4565) REJECTED -- INVALID DESTINATI
ON ADDRESS