Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Sep 90 21:47:55 O
I apologize for not having included my standard disclaimer in my previous
posting:

1. If you are not happy with the code or documentation, you don't have to
   use it; you're free to write your own, and to make it better.

2. If you are not satisfied at  the support I provide for either software
   or questions, you  don't have to use it; I  distribute the source code
   free of charge  with the software, and  you can always refer  to it if
   you have unanswered  questions, or make changes if you  don't like the
   way it is working.

As a list  owner you are responsible for the  configuration of your list.
If you  choose to  introduce keywords  in the list  header that  you have
never  heard   about,  fine,   but  you  might   want  to   consider  the
appropriateness  of  using  the  lack   of  current  documentation  as  a
justification for the use of options whose meaning is unknown to you. The
keyword  name,  "Loopcheck", strongly  suggests  a  relationship to  loop
checking and relevance to the problem you have described.

As  it stands,  after reading  your  problem report  I have  come to  the
conclusion that this kind of error messages should be trapped unless your
server is running 1.6d or older,  noted with surprise that your server is
indeed  running 1.6e,  double-checked the  headers again,  concluded that
there must be some serious bug, carefully inspected the code, run several
tests on my test LISTSERV, and failed to reproduce the problem. I thought
about it  for a while, REVIEWed  the list to see  how it was set  up, and
found that you  had disabled loop checking. Bottom line,  over 20 minutes
of time wasted over a self-inflicted problem.

The "Loopcheck=" keyword was implemented  because a number of people were
requesting it so aggressively that I  decided it would be better to spend
10 minutes implementing it than hours answering their endless downpour of
arguments, plus  they were making local  changes to turn it  off on their
server anyway -  with the side-effect that lists where  they did not want
it turned off  were also affected. Anyway to re-enable  loop checking all
you have to do is remove the keyword.

  Eric