"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 06:39:32 EST
On Thu, 9 Feb 1995 23:39:35 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On   Thu,   9   Feb   1995   17:38:50   -0500   (EST)   Larry   Snodgrass
><[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>CREN  has been  attacking the  INTERBIT problem  from three  directions.
>>Briefly they are:
>>
>>1) Provide  Listproc so  the list  management function  can be  moved to
>>smaller, cheaper Unix systems.
>>

>>(...) These  are CREN's ideas for  removing the huge INTERBIT  load from
>>IBM  mainframes. None  of these  solve the  entire INTERBIT  problem for
>>sites doing  the highest volume. Our  goal is to provide  some relief in
>>the short term and solve the entire problem in the long term.
>
>Larry,
>

>Anyway I'm  glad that CREN's  plans for  INTERBIT are finally  public and
>that an open, public discussion is invited. I'm volunteering LSTSRV-L for
>this purpose  as LISTSERV users  are the  main victims of  these INTERBIT
>delays and most of them are CREN members. Let's see what they think about
>CREN's plans.

Its sounds reasonable, but since I'm paying for it, I do have
a couple concerns/questions.

1) Is the goal to get lists off IBM hardware, or to reduced INTERBIT
traffic?  If the former, you're right on target.  If the latter,
why not work with Turgut's traffic list to convince more heavy
LISTSERV(tm) sites to send directly over the Internet?

2) I assume that LISTPROC now supports BITEARN NODES, so that I as a
NAD can help with the users requests here.

3) If LISTPROC is using return-path:, it can handle source routes.
It is valid and proper.

4) LISTPROC updates the LISTSERV(tm) global database, so that users
here can continue to send requests to the local LISTSERV, and have
them forwarded to the proper system.

5) Since the P/370 updates to the core for Jan were accomplished
in days, short term solutions are also in terms of days.

6) Lists moving from LISTSERV(tm) to LISTPROC will not require
any changes by the subscribers, and all options and subscriptions
will be carried forward intact.

7) LISTPROC now has a Distribute method of distribution to reduce
load.

>  Eric
/ahw

BTW - There use to be a list on educom's listproc to discuss the
development of listproc.  This tickled my memory that I haven't
seen anything in a very long time, so I went ot check my subscription.
The list is "gone".  I must of missed the moving to a new address
posting, and gotten dropped off the list.  Could someone send
me the new address please.