Dennis Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:26:30 -0400
 > Personaly, I don't see it as very much use, but I'm not involved at
 > all with it.  The idea is that by putting a message like that on the
 > end of the message, people feel confident that they are not being
 > infected by the ``site in question''.  Mind you, I'm not sure that
 > it is that ``sound'' of an idea, as who knows what sort of ``ugly''
 > virus will be created that escapes the virus scanner.

No doubt one that says "*** This message scanned for viruses ***" at
the bottom of it.  Such a message is not only pointless, it's actively
harmful, in terms of giving users false confidence.  Worse yet, it's
the metaphorical equivalent of the US Postal Service opening your
envelopes and stamping "Contents approved by the Postmaster" on the
letters inside.  These virus scanners need to do their work silently.
Stuff which doesn't pass the test needs to get silently bounced
to the postmaster or some mailbox designated for infected traffic.
Mailers by necessity must be as transparent to the content as possible.
LISTSERV is hardly the only program which processes mail, and every
such program is likely to have problems with this kind of insertion.

Rant off.

Dennis Boone
H-Net