Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:41:00 -0500
At 05:25 PM 2/24/97 -0700, Dan Lester wrote:
>At 06:46 PM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>One of my users just posed this question/suggestion to me which I must
>>agree would be worthwhile.  Is there any way to force this behavior now?
>>I couldn't think of one, but open to suggestions...
>>
>>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>User's request:
>>> Since [xxx-L] is now added to the
>>> subject line of every message going through the list, I have started using
>>> it with a filter to route my xxx-l traffic (roughly half my total email
>>> volume) into a separate mail file.
>
>I'd have no objection to the behavior he requests....but many of us have
>already sorted our mail from lists into folders/files/directories....by
>simply doing the same thing on the TO line instead.  Just look for the list
>name in there and do the same, and it'll work regardless of the subject
>line, just like it always has.

The "To:" line works sometimes only.  It is not reliable.  Sometimes the list
is in a Cc: or Bcc:, and only some lists rewrite the To: header.  It's not
even clear to me whether the RFC's permit rewriting the To: header, but that's
getting off topic I think.

In a Eudora (POP) account, I have yet to come up with a "perfect" algorithm
for several lists, since I have no useful "From " or "Return-Path:" header.

Plus, one of the big uses for the '[xxx-L]' for those who sign up for it is
that it works for low traffic lists *not* sorted into their own folder.  They
can be spotted by eye, and "sort by subject" gets all the '[xxx-L]' posts
together.

As for messages with no subject at all--as a list owner myself, I'd actually
prefer them to be bounced with a friendly message requesting a subject--but
nobody listens to me these days.  :-)

Check out the "list-header" mailing list:
(can you figure that one out?) if you're interested in issues pertaining
to headers which might lead to list identification, easy unsubscription, etc.
These are being discussed there in view of a possible future RFC.  If you have
opinions, I'd suggest making them known there.

Cheers,
Stan