Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:17:06 -0400
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:14:22 EDT, Glenn said:
> I am new to Listsrv but if I read things correctly there is a performance
> hit to using a backend DBMS for your lists. Can someone discuss or outline
> the cost/benfits with using a DBMS rather than the listsrv propriatary
>  setup (hope i said this right).

If your data is already in the DBMS (think systems like Banner, PeopleSoft,
SAP, etc), it sure is easier to say "mail to everybody in the DBMS who
currently status X", rather than having to run an extract job and populate the
list and then send the mail, then repeating the extract for the next mail in
case somebody's status changed in the interim.  I'd certainly like to deploy it
for all the "class of 2014" lists and "all chem undergrad majors" and similar
lists, it would save me a chunk of work every semester. (I haven't yet due to
internal issues that have to get resolved first).