Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 18 Sep 89 12:38:55 GMT
Leonard, there is  no 100% safe system and IBM  won't fix security holes,
as  you should  know.  If you  want  to discuss  security  issues in  IBM
operating systems, there are better lists  for that. And, I agree that it
is unfair to  put the blame on sites which  distribute utilities when the
real problem  is at the  local site, which  should take steps  to protect
itself.  But, of  course, this  wouldn't be  the first  time that  people
who're bitter  because they've just  been hacked when they  thought their
system  was safe  start finger  pointing,  just to  make themselves  feel
better. I've  been in trouble  once in the past  because of a  utility to
change the date of  a file, and a program to access  A0 files (never mind
that there are other ways to do  it and that IBM actually documents it in
the manuals). I've stopped distributing this  kind of tools to avoid this
kind of problems, but that doesn't  mean I agree with the finger pointing
people.

  Eric