Nick Gimbrone <NJG@CORNELLA>
Wed, 20 Jan 88 16:45:28 EST
>Has anyone looked into what is required to not sort the LIST after
>every subscription?  I have a couple of large lists (>1000 subscribers)
>that whenever a SUBSCRIBE command happens, you can go out to lunch.
>I inserted Say TIME('R') before and after the LSVSORT in LSVSUBSC,
>and that is where the coffee break is occuring, almost 1,000 seconds.

Gads. I don't know what size machine you have, but this can easilly be
beat. XEDIT's SORT command is actually fast. On a 9370 sorting 1000
records on a 9370/20 w/ XEDIT's sort took 12seconds, add another 3.5
seconds to read the file from disk times 4 (write it from exec, read it
into xedit, <sort>, write it from xedit, read it into exec) and the
total for the sort would only be 26 seconds of total time.