Lisa Baas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:52:51 -0800
On 01/16/2003 09:37:14 AM [log in to unmask] wrote:

>GLOBAL_LIST_EXCHANGE = 1 in LOCAL SYSVARS. I mean, that's the setting you
don't
>want (change it to 0).

Ah, ok. I must have zoned out earlier when I was searching for it because
it was there, plain as day. With a long paragraph explaining. D'oh!

>> Looks like I'm missing one update. 1.2d is the latest?
>Yes.

Ok, we have now entered the new millennium :-)

>> It definitely went to the right service machine, LISTTEST.
>
>Darn! Do I get a second chance? :-)

You can have as many chances as you like.

 >My guess this time is that the list is not
>actually called TEST, but let's say XYZ. You have XYZ LIST A1 with
"List-ID=
>TEST" or something along these lines. You may even have the list set up
so that
>the published name is TEST, but its canonical name is XYZ.

I've tripped myself up a few times with the list name vs. list ID thing.
Output of "lists" command:

 * LSTAFF-L -LISTSERV Maintenance Staff
 * TEST     -List for testing MAILER
 *           Alias: LSTESTLS
 *
 * (-) Lists marked with a minus sign only support RFC822 mail.

I've used list IDs for all my lists because of the 8 character limitation
on names in VM. The list name corresponds to the VM userid and the list ID
corresponds to what the owner actually wants to call the list. I've mixed
these two values up more than once.

Here, the list name (i.e. the VM file name) is LSTESTLS. The list ID is
"test" and that's the address to which I'm sending mail. That works fine
when the VM userid is in place and LMail is not (I had the alias defined
in my SMTP NAMES file so the mail would get to the right userid). I tried
sending to lstestls also, same result.

<digress>
I also tried sending to LSTAFF-L, same thing but no SET LIST option so I
got the other response. Strangeness when I tried to do a SET LIST:

tell mailer for lstaff-l set list
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 10:26:48
 * Unknown user preference option - "CLASS= ". Try HELP PREFERENCES for a
list
 * of valid names.
tell mailer for lstaff-l set list
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 10:28:14
 * The LIST and NOMAIL attributes may only be set by the LMail
administrator
 * using the FOR option.
tell mailer for lstaff-l set list
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 10:28:17
 * The LIST and NOMAIL attributes may only be set by the LMail
administrator
 * using the FOR option.
tell mailer for test set list
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 10:28:22
 * User preferences for TEST successfully updated.

MAILER console:

16 Jan 2003 10:26:48 From MAINT@MSACVM: for lstaff-l set list
16 Jan 2003 10:26:48 From LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: set list CLASS=
16 Jan 2003 10:26:48 To   LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: Unknown user preference option
16 Jan 2003 10:26:48 To   MAINT@MSACVM: Unknown user preference option -
16 Jan 2003 10:28:14 From MAINT@MSACVM: for lstaff-l set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:14 From LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:14 To   LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: The LIST and NOMAIL attributes
16 Jan 2003 10:28:14 To   MAINT@MSACVM: The LIST and NOMAIL attributes may
16 Jan 2003 10:28:17 From MAINT@MSACVM: for lstaff-l set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:17 From LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:18 To   LSTAFF-L@MSACVM: The LIST and NOMAIL attributes
16 Jan 2003 10:28:18 To   MAINT@MSACVM: The LIST and NOMAIL attributes may
only
be set by the LMail administrator (...)
16 Jan 2003 10:28:22 From MAINT@MSACVM: for test set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:22 From TEST@MSACVM: set list
16 Jan 2003 10:28:22 To   TEST@MSACVM: User preferences for TEST
successfully up
dated.
16 Jan 2003 10:28:22 To   MAINT@MSACVM: User preferences for TEST
successfully u
pdated.

There are no VM userids called test or lstaff-l. Apparently, LMail thinks
lstaff-l is special and tries to add a CLASS parm. I don't know why MAINT
isn't an admin when acting for lstaff-l but is an admin when acting for
test. I'm not terribly concerned about this one, for now.
</digress>

Ok, I blew away the original test list and recreated with list-id the same
as the list name. Now LISTTEST recognizes the list but delays the mail for
10 minutes because MAILER (?) isn't a subscriber. MAINT actually sent the
mail and is subscribed.

So, two problems remain...sending to lists with aliases and preventing the
delay. The first is the most important. We're migrating from a Windows
product and I have lots of lists with long names.

lisa